Chapter 1-16 Through the Trapdoor
- The final exams of the first year begin. They have been given special
new quills for the exam, bewitched with an Anti-Cheating spell. Professor
Flitwick has them make a pineapple tapdance across the desk, and Professor
McGonagall has them turn a mouse into a snuffbox and Professor Snape
has them make a Forgetfulness potion.
- Their last exam is History of Magic. Hermione complains she needn't
have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or
the uprising of Elfric the Eager.
- Harry is worried about his hurting scar and restless, feeling he forgot
something. Suddenly he remembers. he wants to ask Hagrid about the dragon-egg.
They hurry over to Hagrid's hut and start questioning him about how,
where and from who he got the egg. In the middle of the story Hagrid
mentions that he told the stranger, from who he won the egg in a bar,
that it's easy to calm Fluffy down by playing music.
- Hurrying to tell everything to Dumbledore they run into Professor
McGonagall who tell's them Dumbledore was called to the Ministry of
Magic and left.
- Harry decides that he has to get to the Stone first. He will go that
night. Ron and Hermione tell him they will
go with him. They wait until everybody has left the common room. Harry
gets the Invisibility Cloak and
his flute from his room. When he gets back to the common room, Neville
tries to prevent them from going and breaking the school rules which
would cost Gryffindor more house points. Hermione freezes him with a
full Body-Bind spell ¤
- They go to the forbidden room. The door is already open, meaning that
Snape already got past Fluffy. They manage to get past Fluffy, the
three-headed dog, playing music on the flute, and enter through the
trap door. After a long fall they land on a bed of Devil's Snare, a plant. It is trying to
entrap them. Hermione sends a jet of bluebell flames on the plant to
make it let go.
- Next they come to a room with a locked door. Hermione tries an Alohomora
charm but it does not work. They see what appears to be birds flying
abound them and then realize that what they see are winged keys. Harry
manages to catch the correct one and open the door.
- After the key-room, they need to get through a room with life-sized
chess pieces. Here they must play real-time Wizard Chess. Ron has to sacrifice himself
as a player in the game to get Harry and Hermione to the other side.
- Fluffy was Hagrids obstacle, the Devil's Snare was Professor Sprouts, The keys were Professor Flitwicks, the chess Professor McGonagalls, leaving Quirrell's and
Snape's obstacles still to be tackled.
- Quirrell's turns out to have been a Troll
blocking the way, but it already had been knocked out. Snape's
obstacle to guard the Stone is a set of potions, coming with a riddle
to define the working of them. Hermione unravels the logic, giving the
potion that allows you to continue to Harry, and taking the potion that
allows her to go back. Harry takes the potion and steps through the
fire-portal to enter the next room.