Chapter 1-7 The Sorting Hat
- They finally enter Hogwarts and are greeted
by Professor McGonagall. In the Great Hall they will first undergo the Sorting
Ceremony using the Sorting Hat, an old wizard's hat.
- While they wait, about 20 ghosts pass by; among them the "Fat Friar", an old Hufflepuff student,
talking about "Peeves", the poltergeist.
- The students notice the strange ceiling of the Great Hall, dotted
with stars. Hermione tells those around her that the ceiling was bewitched
to look like the sky outside. She read it in Hogwarts,
- Harry, Ron and Hermione are all sorted into Gryffindor, along with Lavender Brown, Seamus Finnigan, Neville Longbottom and Dean Thomas. Sorted into Hufflepuff are Hanna Abbott, Susan Bones and Justin Finch-Fletchley. Sorted
into Ravenclaw are Terry Boot, Mandy Brocklehurst and Lisa Turpin. Slytherin House's new students will be Millicent
Bullstrode, Draco Malfoy,
and Blaise Zabini.
- During dinner they meet Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, also known
as Nearly Headless Nick,
resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower, who tells them about
the Bloody Baron, the Slytherin House
ghost. Neville tells a story about how he learned to fly, taught by
his Great Auntie Enid and Great
Uncle Algie. Hermione is talking to Percy about Transfiguration.
- Seated at the head table are Hagrid, Professor McGonagall, Professor
Dumbledore, Professor Quirrell, and a teacher with a hooked nose, named
Professor Snape, who teaches Potions and who knows a lot about the Dark Arts.
- Dumbledore tells the students that he was asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind them that no
magic may be used between classes in the corridor.
- After dinner, going to Gryffindor Tower, they are harassed by Peeves
the poltergeist. They have to enter Gryffindor Tower through a portrait
of a Fat Lady by saying the password, "Caput Draconis"