Chapter 1-8 The Potions Master
- Harry is trying to get familiar with the school.
- He finds out that Argus Filch knows
all that happens here and is very eager to catch students doing things
they're not supposed to. His cat, Mrs. Norris, also patrols the corridors.
- He has Herbology classes with Professor
Sprout outside at the greenhouses behind
the castle and History of Magic classes with Professor Binns, a ghost. Professor Binns drones on
while they scribble down names and dates, and they get Emeric the Evil and Uric the Oddball mixed up. Harry's
Charms teacher is a tiny little wizard called
Professor Flitwick. Defense Against the Dark
Arts is taught by Professor Quirell.
- Hedwig brings Harry a letter from
- Snape, who teaches potions in
the dungeons, appears to hate Harry. He starts
asking difficult questions like "What would I get if I added powdered
root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" and "Where
would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?" and "What is the difference between
monkshood and wolfsbane?" He admonishes Harry for not knowing
the answers. He ignores Hermione, who had been raising her hand. The
answer to the first question is a sleeping potion, called the Draught
of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from a goat which will
save you from most poisons, and monkshood and wolfsbane are the same
plant, and also are called aconite.
- Neville spills his potion on himself, causing him pain. He had added
the porcupine quills before taking
the cauldron off the fire.
- After classes they go to Hagrid's cabin on the edge of the forbidden forest where they also meet
Hagrid's boarhound Fang.