Chapter 4-14 The Unforgivable Curses
- The next two days are calm. While Hermione teaches Neville a Scouring Charm during class, they talk
about Snape's behaviour. Professor Snape is angry he did not get the
job of teacher the Defense Against The Dark Arts class again.
- Harry has his first Defense Against the Dark
Arts class from Professor Moody. Moody tells them to put away
their "The Dark
Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection" books; they won't need them
today. He will teach them curses; illegal curses. First he shows them
the Imperius Curse which exacts total
control over a person or creature, using ¤
Imperio on a spider. Moody tells them that years ago the Ministry had a hard time trying to
figure out who was truly cursed with it and who lied about being cursed
so that they would not have to be held accountable for their actions.
- Next he performs the Cruciatus Curse
on the spider, giving it unbearable pain with a ¤ Crucio after making it a bit bigger with
a Engorgement Charm, ¤
Engorgio, to show the effect. When finished showing the effect,
Moody shrinks it back with a ¤ Reducio.
- And finally he demonstrates the killing curse ¤ Avada Kedavra by using it on
the spider. Moody explains that there is no counter-curse for the last
one; the only person known to survive is Harry.
- These three curses are known as the Unforgivable Curses.
- After class, they see Neville,
whose parents (1+2)
had been driven insane years ago, is a bit upset. Moody sends Neville
to his office to have a word with him.
- Harry and Ron go back to their dormitory to do their Divination homework.
They find Neville there with his eyes red. Moody has given him a book
Mediterranean Water-Plants and Their Properties. Harry and Ron
begin studying, consulting their Unfogging the Future books,
but end up making up their own predictions for Divination class. While
making up their stories, they see Fred and George sitting together looking like
they're up to something.
- Hermione comes in and shows
them she set up S.P.E.W., the Society for the Promotion
of Elfish Welfare to stop the enslavement of House-elves.
- Hedwig flies in with a letter from Sirius saying he is coming their way.