Chapter 4-26 The Second Task
- During having Charms classes, while practising
the Banishing Charm, Harry tells Ron
and Hermione he figured out the clue and what happened the night before.
They speculate about Snape possibly being involved in putting Harry's
name in the Goblet.
- Harry also sends a letter to Sirius telling him what happened.
- The following days Harry, Ron and Hermione look for solutions to Harry's
second task, which will require him to stay under water for an hour.
Ron suggests summoning an aqualung from the nearest muggle town, but
Hermione dismisses this because he'd be disqualified for breaking the
of Wizard Secrecy. Hermione thinks the best thing is some kind of
charm. Harry asks Professor McGonagall's permission to use the Restricted
Section of the Library and for help from Madam Pince, the librarian, but he finds
- Time is running out. Harry gets back a letter from Sirius asking when
the next Hogsmeade weekend is. No answer to his problem for the second
task is in the letter since Harry forgot to ask.
- Hagrid continues teaching the Care of Magical Creatures
with Unicorns. He seems to know as much about
them as he knows about monsters.
- The evening before the second task, Harry is desperate. Ron and Hermione
help him search in the Library for a solution in books like Olde and Forgotten
Bewitchments and Charmes, Saucy Tricks for Tricky Sorts
and Weird Wizarding
Dilemmas and Their Solutions. The closest thing they find is
a Drought Charm but it's not powerfull
enough to dry up the lake. Fred and George turn up saying they've been
sent by Professor McGonagall to get Ron and Hermione.
- After the Library closes, Harry continues to search in the common
room in books he borrowed like Madcap Magic for Wacky
Warlocks, A Guide
to Medieval Sorcery, An Anthology
of Eighteenth-Century Charms, Dreadful Denizens of the
Deep and Powers You Never Knew You
Had and What to Do With Them Now You've Wised Up. By the time
everybody has gone to bed, Harry is still without an answer and decides
to go back to the Library wearing his Invisibility Cloak. Using a ¤ Lumos to get some light he enters the
Library and starts searching again.
- The next morning Harry is woken by Dobby. Harry fell asleep in the Library, his
face in Where There's
a Wand, There's a Way. The second task of the Triwizard
Tournament starts in ten minutes. Dobby tells him Harry has to get
Ron back. He gives Harry Gillyweed which
will allow him to breathe under water, Dobby overheard Moody talking
to McGonagall about the second task. Harry speeds downstairs to the
lake. Krum, Fleur and Cedric are already waiting, as well
as Dumbledore, Karkaroff,
Madame Maxime, Bagman and Percy at the judging table.
- Bagman amplifies his voice with a ¤ Sonorus
and announces the task will now begin. Eating the Gillyweed Harry enters
the lake. He temporarily grows gills in his neck and dives down in the
- On his way down, Grindylows try to catch
him but with a ¤ Relashio he manages
to shake them off. He also encounters Moaning Myrtle who came to see the event
and gives Harry a tip on how to avoid the Grindylows. He finally reaches
the bottom hearing the Merpeople sing the song from the egg. The
Merpeople are emerging from all directions. Four people are bound to
the tail of a stone merperson, Ron, Hermione, Cho Chang and another girl which Harry
believes to be Fleur's sister, all unconsious. To free them, Harry tries
to get a spear from the merpeople but they refuse to help. Harry gets
a rock and manages to free Ron. Next he tries to free Hermione but the
merpeople prevent him from freeing the others.
- Cedric arrives with an enormous bubble around his head. He frees Cho
and takes her up. Next Krum arrives, in swimming trunks and his head
Transfigured into a shark. Harry gives
Krum the stone and Krum takes Hermione up.
- Realising Fleur won't make it, Harry defies the merepeople, challenging
them with his wand to let him free Fleur's sister also. They back down
and Harry takes Ron and Fleur's sister up, arriving just in time before
the effect of the Gillyweed wears off.
- Ron, regaining consiousness, tells Harry that the song was not meant
to be taken literally, that nobody was really in any danger. Now Harry
seems to have lost precious time waiting for the others.
- Madam Pomfrey takes care of everybody.
Fleur, very upset, checks on her sister Gabrielle.
- Dumbledore is in deep conversation with the chief of the merpeople,
and has a quick conference with the other judges afterwards.
- Fleur thanks Harry for saving her sister.
- Bagman announces the judges reached a decision. Fleur, although using
a Bubble-Head Charm, failed and
gets twenty-five points. Cedric, using the same charm, but outside the
time limit. gets forty-seven points. Krum gets forty points. Harry,
however returning after the others, arrived first at the scene according
to the merpeople but stayed to ensure the rescue of all the hostages,
therefore gets forty-five points.
- The third task will be in June., The champions will hear details one