Chapter 4-27 Padfoot Returns
- Harry gets a letter from Sirius telling
him to be at the end of the road at Dervish and Banges at the next Hogsmeade
- Before entering Potions class, Malfoy shows Harry, Ron and Hermione an article in Witch Weekly about Hermione by Rita Skeeter. It describes Hermione as
an awful fame-seeker, but she's not offended by it. In classes they
make a Wit-Sharpening Potion.
Hermione wonders how Skeeter knows details of things she is not supposed
to know. Snape spots the article and reads
it out loud as punishment to Hermione for reading in class. Snape accuses
Harry of breaking into his office. Harry denies this. Snape shows Harry
Veritaserum, a Truth Potion, threatening to use it on
him. Karkaroff comes in, desperately
wanting to talk to Snape. Snape wants to talk after class. Harry deliberately
knocks over a bottle to overhear the conversation after class. Karkaroff
shows Snape something on his inner forearm.
- The next day they depart for Hogsmeade village. In Gladrags Wizardwear they buy a
present for Dobby. At half past one they make their way past Dervish
and Banges towards the edge of the village. They find a
black dog there; it is Sirius. The dog starts walking and they follow
it. Sirius leads them up a mountain to a cave where he hides.
- He tells them he's been stealing the Daily Prophets daily, and he's
getting worried about all the news articles concerning Mr. Crouch and he wants to know everything
that happened the night of the Quidditch World Cup and the Dark Mark event. He tells them it was Crouch
who sent him to Azkaban without a trial. Crouch
used to be head of the Department of Magical
Law Enforcement. He was tipped as the next Minister of Magic. He used to be
very outspoken against the Dark side. Years ago, when Voldemort was at the height of his power,
Crouch rose quickly through the Ministry of Magic and ordered harsh
measures against Voldemort's supporters. Aurors were given new powers; for instance to
kill instead of to capture, and he authorised the use of the Unforgivable
Curses against suspects. When Voldemort disappeared, it looked like
Crouch would go right to the top job. But then his son [click only if you read following chapters] was
caught with a group of Death Eaters. Crouch put his son on trial
and sent him right to Azkaban. His son died about a year after they
brought him in, Crouch and his wife visiting his deathbed.
- Sirius also wonders about Snape's involvement. Snape always was
interested in the Dark Arts and knew more curses then many other students
who turned out to be Death Eaters, like Rosier and Wilkes; both of whom were killed by Aurors,
the Lestranges (+R)
couple; they are in Azkaban, and Avery, who
claimed to have been under the Imperius
Curse at the time.
- Harry tells Sirius that Karkaroff showed Snape his arm.
- Sirus asks Ron to check with Percy if he's seen Mr Crouch lately and
if they have any leads on Bertha Jorkins.
- They go back down the hill. Sirius suggests to use the name Snuffles instead of his real name when talking
about him when he is near other people. They return to the village and
then back to Hogwarts.