Chapter 5-2 A Peck of Owls
- Mrs. Figg tells Harry that Mundungus
Fletcher had left to see someone about a batch of Cauldrons that fell off the back of a broom
and that it's just lucky she put Mr. Tibbles on the case. She turns out to
be a Squib. It was Mundungus Fletcher who disapparated
from the front of Harry's house. He has been following Harry.
- They walk back home taking Dudley. While walking, Mrs. Figg
tells Harry to keep his wand out, never minding the Statute of Secrecy now. This is
exactly what Dumbledore was afraid of with the Reasonable
Restriction of Underage Sorcery. She sees something on the end of
the street but it's just Mr. Prentice.
- There's a crack and Mundungus Fletcher appears by
Apparation, holding an Invisibility Cloak. He should have
been watching Harry when he left to buy stolen cauldrons. Fletcher says
someone should tell Dumbledore and Mrs. Figg says 'yes - they - have'
and that it better be him so he can tell why he wasn't there to help.
Then Fletcher Disapparates
- They reach the Dursley's house and Mrs. Figg leaves. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon are furious.
- At that moment an owl flies in bringing Harry a letter from the Ministry of Magic. The letter indicates
Harry performed a Patronus Charm in a Muggle-inhabited
area and in the presence of a Muggle. This is a breach of the Decree for
the Restricion of Underage Wizardry and therefore he is expelled
from Hogwarts. As Harry already has received an official warning for
a previous offence under Section 13 of the International Confederation
of Warlocks' Statute of Secrecy, Harry will need to appear at a
disciplinary hearing at the Ministry at nine on the twelfth of August.
The letter is signed by Mafalda Hopkirk of the Improper Use of Magic Office.
- Harry is about to run. There's a crack in the kitchen and a barn owl
appears bringing a letter from Mr. Weasley telling Harry to stay in the
house and to not surrender his wand.
- Uncle Vernon does not believe that Harry did nothing to Dudley. Harry
tries to convince them it was Dementors. Aunt Petunia knows they guard
Azkaban, as she had heard Harry's parents talk
- Another owl from the Ministry to Harry arrives, telling Harry his
wand will not be destroyed and the matter of expulsion will be decided
at the hearing.
- One more owl flies in. It is from Sirius telling Harry not to leave the house.
- Harry tells uncle Vernon that Voldemort is back. Uncle Vernon wants
Harry out. He thinks that Marge was right in saying Harry should
have been sent to an orphanage. Another owl flies in with a Howler for Aunt Petunia. It's a letter saying
"Remember my last, Petunia". Aunt Petunia says Harry will stay.