Chapter 5-34 The Department of Mysteries
- Harry, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, Ron and Neville fly on the Thestrals and arrive at the Ministry to rescue Sirius.
- The Ministry is completely empty. They pass the fountain in the Atrium
and the desk where normally the watchwizard is, and enter the elevator
to level nine, the Department of Mysteries. Next
they go through a black door and down the corridor. Like in his dream they go through
the door on the end of the corridor into a large circular completely
- Neville closes the door and for a moment they only see the bunches
of shivering blue flames on the walls and their own reflections. The
circular wall is rotating. The try one of the doors and enter a long
rectangular room with an enormous tank of green liquid with pearly-white
objects in it. Luna guesses they are Aquavirius
Maggots, but Hermione says they are brains. Ron sees more doors
in the room but Harry thinks it's wiser to go back and try another door
in the circular room.
- With a ¤ Flagrate Hermione marks
the door before shutting it.
- They try another door and enter a rectangular room (D*C*)
with a great stone pit with stone benches all around the room like an
amphitheater. On the bottom is a stone Archway hung with a black veil which is fluttering
slightly. Harry hears faint whispering, murmuring noises coming from
the other side of the veil. Luna hears them too. Hermione reminds Harry,
who's transfixed on the archway, that they need to look for Sirius.
- In the circular room they try a new door but it's locked. Hermione
tries a ¤ Alohomora but the door
won't open. Harry tries Sirius's knife but the door stays shut and the
knife is melted. Luna says "You know what could be in there?" but Hermione
answers that it's no doubt something blibbering. The wall spins and
- Harry tries another door and he recognizes it as the right one. They
enter a room with dancing diamond-sparkling light. There are clocks
gleaming from every surface. The source of light is a towering crystal
bell jar at the far end of the room. Inside the crystal they see a tiny
jewel-bright egg which opens and a hummingbird emerges, flies up and
regresses back, born back into the egg. They continue and Harry recognizes
the door they need to go through.
- When they enter they find the place, the church size Hall
with shelves covered in small dusty glass orbs. Each orb has a yellowing
label underneath it. Some have a weird glow, while others are dull and
dark. They look for row ninety-seven and find it. At the end of the
row there's no Sirius.
- Ron shows Harry one of the orbs with Harry's name on it. The label
- Hermione and Neville warn Harry not to touch it but he still takes
the orb. Then they hear a voice telling Harry to turn around slowly
and give it to him.