Chapter 5-36 The Only One He Ever Feared
- Harry can't believe Sirius is gone. Lupin tells him 'He can't come
back, because he's d---' There's still some battling going on.
- Dumbledore has immobilized
the remaining Death Eaters in the middle
of the room. Moody is trying to revive Tonks. Kingsley is going after Bellatrix.
Lupin lifts Neville's hex with a ¤ Finite.
- Kingsley is hit by a spell and Bellatrix runs away. Dumbledore aims
a spell at her but she deflects it.
- Harry goes after her through the room with the brains. She casts a
spell over a shoulder and the tank rises in the air and tips. Harry
avoids them by sending them back up in the air with a ¤
Wingardium Leviosa. Ron, Ginny and Luna seem to be all right.
Harry follows Belatrix. She has gone through the circular room back
into the corridor to the lifts. The door closes when
Harry is in the circular room and the walls spin. Harry shouts aloud
asking where the exit is, and a door right behind him flies open. He
goes through the corridor into the lift and into the Atrium.
- Bellatrix is almost at the end of the hall at the telephone lift and
aims a spell at Harry. Harry ducks behind the Fountain of Magical Brethren.
Harry is utterly enraged and casts a ¤ Crucio on her but it has little effect.
Bellatrix asks if Harry never used an Unforgivable Curse before; telling
him you have to mean them. She also tries to hit Harry with a
¤ Crucio but misses and hits the head of the fountain wizard
statue, which falls to the ground. Harry aims a ¤
Stupefy at her but she counters it with a ¤
- Bellatrix gives Harry one last chance to hand over the Prophecy to save his life but Harry tells
her it's gone. Pain shoots across his Scar. Voldemort knows and he won't be happy with
Bellatrix. Bellatrix refuses to believe and tries to ¤ Accio the prophecy but in vain.
- Voldemort appears in the middle
of the hall. He tries to put the ¤ Avada Kedavra on Harry but is
saved by the headless golden statue of the wizard in the fountain which
has sprung alive. It leaps between Harry and Voldemort and the spell
glances off its chest. Dumbledore has come.
- Voldemort sends another jet of green light at Dumbledore. Dumbledore
turns and is gone in a whirling of his cloak. He reappears behind Voldemort
and waves the other statues to life with his wand. The statue of the
witch pins Bellatrix to the floor. The goblin and the house-elf run
to the fireplaces and the centaur gallops at Voldemort, who vanishes
and reappears beside the pool. The headless statue moves Harry away
from the fight.
- Voldemort tries another killing curse at Dumbledore but misses. Dumbledore
flicks his wand and creates an enormous spell. Voldemort is forced to
conjure a shining silver shield out of thin air to deflect it. Voldemort
states that Dumbledore is not trying to kill him. Dumbledore answers
that there are other ways of destroying a man; that merely taking Voldemort's
life would not satisfy him. Voldemort says there's nothing worse then
death, but Dumbledore says he's quite wrong. Dumbledore keeps approaching
Voldemort lightly without any sign of fear or worry whatsoever.
- A new jet of green light from Voldemort is interfered by the centaur,
who blasts in pieces. Dumbledore conjures a long thin flame from his
wand and it wraps itself around Voldemort, shield and all. Then Voldemort
turns the flame into a Serpent and turns back on Dumbledore. Voldemort
vanishes. The moment he reappears above the pool, there's a burst of
flame in midair and Fawkes swallows a jet of green light by Voldemort.
Dumbledore makes the snake vanish in a whisp of dark smoke and next
the water in the pool rises up and covers Voldemort like a cocoon of
- Voldemort disappears and the water falls down. Dumbledore tells Harry
to stay where he is. He now looks frightened.
- Suddenly his scar bursts open in pain beyond imagining. He's 'fused
together with the creature with red eyes, bound by pain'. When the creature
speaks, it uses Harry's mouth. It tells Dumbledore to kill him, saying
'If death is nothing, Dumbledore, kill the boy ...' Harry thinks "let
the pain to stop, to let him kill us; end it ... death is nothing compared
to this ... and I'll see Sirius again".
And when his heart fills with emotion, the bond loosens and the pain
- Harry is all right. The Atrium is full of people
- The statues of the goblin and the house-elf are leading Cornelius Fudge. A man called Williamson
tells Fudge he saw Voldemort grabbing a woman and Disapparating. Fudge saw it too. Dumbledore
tells Fudge and the Aurors that downstairs are
more Death Eaters contained in the Death Chamber bound by an Anti-Disapparation Jinx. Fudge
sends Dawlish and Williamson to check
- Dumbledore will explain everything to Fudge as soon as he has sent
- With a ¤ Portus Dumbledore turns the
head of the wizard statue into a Portkey to send him back to Hogwarts. He orders
Fudge to remove Umbridge from Hogwarts
and to stop the Aurors searching for Hagrid.
- Dumbledore looks at his watch with twelve hands and tells Fudge he
can spare half an hour. Then he tells Harry he'll see him in half an
hour and Harry is sent back with the Portkey.