Chapter 6-26 The Cave
- Harry and Dumbledore arrive near the cave. In the dark Dumbledore uses a ¤ Lumos to see better. Harry can take off his Cloak. They climb down a cliff and enter the water, swimming to the cave. They arrive at the ante-chamber, the entrance hall Dumbledore states, they still need to penetrate the inner place. He feels the walls muttering in a strange tongue. He finally finds the concealed entrance.
- The entrance needs 'payment', blood, to pass. Harry offers some of his but Dumbledore does it himself, cutting his arm and they enter the opening. He heals his arm with his wand.
- They find a huge black lake inside, a misty greenish light in the middle. Harry suggests using a Summoning Charm to get the Horcrux and casts a ¤ Accio Horcrux. With a loud noise something large erupts from the water and vanishes again. Dumbledore guesses easy ways to get it are not likely.
- Dumbledore finds a chain and makes it pull in a tiny boat. Probably Voldemort set other obstacles to prevent or harm anybody trying to get the Horcrux. The boat is for one person only but since Harry is under age probably the enchantment will exclude him. They manage to get in together and go towards the middle of the lake. Harry sees bodies in the water. Dumbledore says that until they get the Horcrux they probably won't pose a threat. Fire, warmth and light, should repel them.
- A small island in the middle has a glowing basin containing an esmerald liquid. Dumbledore tries to put his hand in but cannot approach it, an invisible barrier has been put up. With complicated wand movements and murmuring soundlessly the potion grows a little brighter. Dumbledore says the potion can not be penetrated by hand, Vanished, parted, scooped up or siphoned away, nor Transfigured, Charmed or changed any way. He think it needs to be drunk, and he thinks it won't kill the drinker, Voldemort would want the person alive first to interrogate him. It would probably act in a way to prevent him taking the Horcrux. Harry is ordered to do whatever it takes to keep Dumbledore drinking until the end.
- Dumbledore starts drinking. At the fourth goblet he stops, face twitching saying "I don't want .. don't make me ..." and Harry pushes him to keep drink. Harry pushes him on even during Dumbledore cries " ... don't like ... want to stop ..." and "no ... I don't want to .. I don't want to ... let me go" and "Make it stop, make it stop" and "No, no, no ... no ... I can't ... I can't, don't make me, I don't want to ..." and "It's all my fault, all my fault, please make it stop, I know I did wrong, oh, please make it stop and I'll never, never again ..." and "Don't hurt them, don't hurt them, please, please, it's my fault, hurt me instead" and "Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ..." and "No more, please, no more ..." and "I want to die! I want to die! Make it stop, make it stop, I want to die!" and "KILL ME!".
- Dumbledore finally collapses. Harry uses ¤ Rennervate and Dumbledore gains consciousness. He needs water and Harry tries ¤ Aguamenti to summon water in the goblet but it vanishes. On instinct he takes water from the lake and gives it to Dumbledore. Bodies are suddenly approaching from the water. He uses ¤ Petrificus Totalus and ¤ Impedimenta and ¤ Incarcerous and ¤ Sectumsempra but too many Inferi are after him. They start dragging him to the water. Suddenly fire erupts, a huge ring of fire which repels all the Inferi. It is Dumbledore who is on his feet again. He scoops the locket* from the bottom of the basin and stows it inside his robes. They get into the boat and away from the island. Back on the bank Dumbledore says he is weak. Harry opens the door with his blood and they leave.