Chapter 6-4 Horace Slughorn
- Dumbledore takes Harry on a side-along-Apparition and they set off to some destination. They arrive at some village of Budleigh Babberton where Dumbledore tells Harry they will be trying to persuade somebody to become a teacher again.
- The house they finally enter is a scene of devastation. It turns out that it is staged to look like some fight occurred, by the owner Horace Slughorn, who turns back into normal from having transfigured himself into a armchair. They magically clean the room, Slughorn says for the blood on the wall he used Dragon blood.
- Harry is introduced. Slughorn complains about his age and health but Dumbledore claims him remarkably well. Slughorn only had two minutes to stage the scene, he didn't hear the Intruder Charm go off.
- Dumbledore shows his blackened hand on which he also is wearing a golden ring with a heavy black stone
- Slughorn has not yet been visited or found by Death Eaters, he is on the move for over a year using Freezing Charms on burglar alarms to stay in Muggle houses.
- Dumbledore leaves the two alone and goes to the bathroom. Slughorn has a conversation with Harry, he turns out to know and have taught Harry's mother Lily and father James. Slughorn used to be Head of Slytherin. He mentions that most of the times students end up in the same House as their parents, not always since Sirius ended up in Gryffindor and Slughorn got his brother Regulus.. speaking as if they were trophies. Slughorn says he does not have anything against muggle-borns though, Lily was one of his favorites and also Dirk Cresswell who is now Head of the Goblin Liaison Office.
- He seems to know a lot of promising students and shows Harry a photo with Barnabas Cuffe, editor of the Daily Prophet, Ambrosius Flume of Honeydukes who he introduced to Ciceron Harkiss, and Gwenog Jones, captain of the Holyhead Harpies.
- Harry states that Slughorn would probably be much safer remaining as a teacher at Hogwarts. Dumbledore comes back and tells Harry they are leaving. Slughorn changes his mind and accepts a post at Hogwarts.
- When they have left Dumbledore explains that Slughorn likes the company of the famous, successful and powerful and keeping promising students to his group of favorites.
- They apparate together again and arrive at The Burrow and have a final word together. Dumbledore suggests Harry should tell Ron and Hermione about the Prophesy. Harry also will be having private lessons with him this year and is told that he should be taking his Invisibility Cloak at all times with him.