Book 5 characters, old faces - new players.
Harry Potter books are like world cup soccer matches. Every country has
a bunch of names. About two dozens of names are selected as the prominent
players. Most will be known faces, a few will be new debutes. Only eleven
will be selected to play the match. One never knows what the outcome is
until the whistle blows.
Rowling has shown very keenness in preparing her characters for their
coming role in the books. We find small and seemingly insignificant events
which afterwards all fall into place as hints. Although I find myself
very good in instantly picking clues from cinema-movies and interpreting
them as to predict the rest of the film, I found it difficult to do it
with Rowling's stories. Followingly I will try to pick out some of the
possible key-role players in the coming books which have not played any
significant role so far. Selected characters are based on their prior
appearance in prior books, mainly book 4 since I think these are the best
First I'll start with some of the obvious ones;
- Mrs. Figg. It has already been widely speculated and found
very obvious that the Arabella Figgs named in chapter 4-36 as member
of the old crew to be the same Mrs. Figgs which used to 'baby-sit' Harry
for the Dursleys. Almost certainly we'll see her as one of the main
players in good versus evil in book 5
- Mundungus Fletcher. His name already appeared in book 2. Now
more times in book 4. No significant events around him but I'm pretty
convinced he's being prepared as major character in coming books. Also
identified by Dumbledore as part of 'the old crowd'
- Fridwulfa. Hagrid's mother, a giantess. Hagrid was sent out
to contact the giants. Will she be the most obvious choice to start
with? Unless we learn that she's already dead (point mentioned by Todd,
AFHP) she likely will be one of them.
And some of the less obvious ones;
- Walden Macnair. Death eater. Very likely the same Macnair
as old pal of Malfoy's, now working for the Committee for the Disposal
of Dangerous Creatures. One of the bad guys and working inside the Ministry!
- Bode and Croaker, Unspeakables from the Department of
Mysteries. A very interesting, mysterious and promising concept. I wonder
what Rowling has in store for them, what do they do and what will their
- Perkins. A colleague of Mr. Weasley from the office. Also working
for the Ministry and possibly somebody with useful information and connections
in the coming book.
- Arnold Peasegood, Obliviator and member of the Accidental
Magic Reversal Department. Was it him which got Harry's mess-ups corrected
when he performed unauthorized magic? Will he be needed when coming
events shift from the magic world into the muggle world at some possible
- Rita Skeeter. Not the most popular person but she can be well
informed and provide some good information.
- the Lestranges. Loyal Death-eaters. Still in Azkaban, but I
predict not for long. Very possible that they will be 'rescued' on Voldemorts
- Avery. Another Death-eater. Taken back into Voldemorts circle
- Nott. Another Death-eater. Shows up with the rest of them.
- Augustus Rookwood. Works/worked for the Ministry. Claimed death-eater
by Karkaroff. Maybe we'll see him as an inside informant working for
And finally some longshots, not likely but not impossible;
- Colin Creevey. Seemingly some insignificant fan of Harry.
I have the strong suspicion that his character has been introduced for
some major other role in the coming books and not remain just one of
the petrified people from book 2.
- Ludo Bagman. Although cleared from his bad reputation/name,
it's always possible there's some hidden truth behind his story and
he might be added to the dark side.
- Viktor Krum. A strong and rightful character, very useful for
fight against the dark art. He may have some unknown knowledge or education
on the dark arts which they can use to fight it. Durmstrang is known
- Lovegoods and Fawcetts Mentioned in book 4 when arriving
at the Cup.
- Agatha Timms. A seemingly unimportant name in book 4. Might
be reused whenever found useful in book 5+
- Madam Marsh. Was in the knight bus in book 3 with harry.
- Dedalus Diggle. Name mentioned in first chapter of book 1 and
Harry met him first time in Leaky Cauldron.
Here they are. Some of the so far unimportant characters from book 1
to 4 which are possibly, likely or certainly characters which you have
to keep your eyes open for in the coming books. Hope I raised your suspicion
and make you enjoy more your coming insight when book 5 is in the stores
By the webmaster
Want to react on this column? contact me